CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL 175
Minutes of the Meeting of Churchill and Blakedown Parish Council held on Wednesday, 18th June 2008, in Blakedown Parish Rooms.
PRESENT Cllr R J Whiston (Chairman)
Cllr Mrs S Cartwright
Cllr S D Charman
Cllr Mrs P V Hayward
Cllr J W Long
Cllr B A Pitt
In attendance: PC Sarah Brooks and CSO Karen Lloyd
John Rostron and Chris Lindley, Blakedown Parish Room Committee
Mark Jones, Parish Lengthsman and Handyman
R D Gurney, Clerk to the Parish Council
96/08 CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
The Chairman welcomed all to the meeting.
97/08 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
These were received and accepted from Cllr Gardiner, Cllr Mrs Swindells and Cllr Dearden.
98/08 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr Long declared a personal interest in Item 9(5), minute no. 104/08(5).
99/08 COMMUNITY POLICING
The Chairman invited PC Sarah Brooks and CSO Karen Lloyd to address the meeting. PC Brooks reported that theft of metal is currently the major problem in the area, including catalytic converters from cars, lead from roofs and safety railings at the playground.
100/08 BLAKEDOWN PARISH ROOM
The Chairman invited John Rostron, the Parish Room Treasurer, to speak and to answer questions. Members expressed the view that there needs to be a good and easy channel of communication between the Parish Room Committee and the community and it is hoped that details for bookings can be included on the web site. Reference was made to difficulties in making one-off bookings, particularly at weekends, when there are regular users; it was explained that 2 months notice needs to be given to cancel the regulars.
Mr Rostron confirmed that the refurbishment of the Parish Room and the resurfacing of the car park and driveway are completed. The question of residents parking on the approach road is an informal arrangement, although there is concern that this area may be used as parking for rail commuters. The AGM is an open meeting.
101/08 WYRE FOREST GAMES/MILLENNIUM GREEN
Geoff Elwell did not attend and he will be invited to attend the net meeting. The Clerk reported that the £100 for winning the Parish Games has been paid into the bank account.
176 CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.06.08
ADJOURNMENT FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
(No members of the public were in attendance).
102/08 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
Neither County Cllr Clee nor Cllr Williams were in attendance and there were no reports.
103/08 CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON
21st MAY 2008
Subject to the replacement of “could” for “should” in line 2 of Minute 81/08(4) it was proposed by Cllr Pitt, seconded by Cllr Charman, and RESOLVED that the Minutes, being a true and accurate record of the proceedings of the meeting, be signed by the Chairman.
104/08 PROGRESS REPORTS FOR INFORMATION
(1) Parish Web site. Malcolm Hall was not in attendance. The Chairman reported that he had discussed the renewing of two domain names with Malcolm Hall and the Clerk, and this has now been done. Members felt that consideration should be given to a scale of fees for advertisements on the web site; this to be on the next agenda.
(2) Lengthsman/Handyman report. Mark Jones was invited to speak. He reported that litter continues to be a problem, especially at building renovation sites, where car parking is also a problem; the Clerk will speak to PC Brooks. Large items of litter are still being dumped in Crown Lane and Waggon Lane; Mark Jones reports these matters direct to WFDC. He reported that there is continuing damage at the playground and litter and encroachment in The Avenue. It was agreed that the latter be included on the next agenda.
(3) Meeting dates/venues for 2008/9. This was circulated with the agenda and was noted.
(4) Land to the rear of 5 Mill Lane, Blakedown. The Clerk is waiting for a reply from the solicitors regarding the use of the “surplus” land for allotments.
(5) Post Office Working Group. Cllr Long stated that there is no further information; the consultation period starts on 27th August.
(6) Blakedown Station maintenance/ Signal box listing. The Clerk has reported by email the lack of maintenance near the signal box, but has not had a reply from Network Rail. He has been unable to make contact with the Conservation Officer at WFDC regarding the possible listing of the signal box.
(7) Planning application at Little Champson. Cllr Long reported that he had attended the WFDC Planning Committee and that the application had been deferred pending clarification of the footprint. He will attend and speak at the next meeting.
(8) Management of the Shoppers Car Park. The Clerk reported that he should have received a letter from WFDC, but this had not arrived, and a further report is being undertaken.
(9) Street nameplates and signs. This item was deferred.
(10) Street lighting supplier. The Clerk was not in a position to report.
(11) Police Community Consultative Group. Mr Keys’ report was received.
105/08 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
(1) It was resolved that the comments on the following applications, as detailed, be sent to Wyre Forest DC.
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.06.08 177
WF/08/0484 Replace existing flat roof canopy with pitched roofs at front,
59 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown
WF/08/0502 Single storey side extension, 106 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown
WF/08/0542 Erection of fencing no more than 1 metre in height, land at Five Ways Cottages, Sugar Loaf Lane, Ismere
No objection, but the perimeter fence should be inside the hedge, to preserve to visual
amenities of the rural area from Beech Tree Lane and A.451
Planning Decisions - for information
WF/08/0138 Agricultural store, cattle rearing facility, use of land for the grazing of horses, Jubilee Field, off Birmingham Rd, Blakedown –WITHDRAWN
WF/08/0254 Hay and implement barn, Field 2, Glebe land, Churchill - REFUSED
WF/08/0269 Car port, 3 Roxall Close, Blakedown - GRANTED
WF/08/0328 Clearance of trees and removal of 3 boundary trees, Churchill Court, Churchill - GRANTED
(1) The Clerk reported that the current account today stands at £765.82p and the Instant Access account stands at £10,592.19p, giving a total credit balance of £11,358.01p.
(2) The Receipts and Payments Account for 04.04.08 – 06.06.08 was received.
(3) It was proposed by Cllr Pitt, seconded by Cllr Charman, and resolved that the following accounts be approved for payment:
Staples UK Ltd, photocopying, stationery – April/May
£25.73 + £4.51 VAT (2 invoices) £ 30.24
Community First membership £ 38.00
Vernon Rudge (April and May) £320.00
R D Gurney reimbursement for web site domains
£23.90 + £4.18 VAT £ 28.08
Mark Jones handyman £320.00
Blakedown PCC £330.00
Churchill PCC £330.00
Diane Malley, Internal Auditor £100.00
107/08 COMPLETION OF THE ANNUAL RETURN
The Statement of Assurance on the Annual Return was discussed, completed and signed by the Chairman. It was suggested and agreed that, when the Annual Return is received back from the External Auditor, it is scanned and put on the web site.
178 CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.06.08
108/08 HIGHWAY MATTERS
The Clerk reported that he had written to WCC reminding them that the revised lining at Churchill crossroads and the kerbing on Station Drive were scheduled to be done “early” in this financial year and asking when the work would be completed. No reply has been received and County Cllr Clee has been kept informed. Also no action seems to have been taken with regard to the weight restriction request on Stakenbridge Lane.
It was reported that the “weight limit” signs in Mill Lane should be closer to Churchill Lane and pothole maintenance is needs to be redone in Stakenbridge Lane and Crown Lane. Also overhanging dead branches in Crown Lane and Churchill Lane, Blakedown, near the golf course, need to be attended to.
It was agreed that a proposal to extend the Mill Lane weight limit area and the imposition of a 20 mph speed limit on A.456 through Blakedown village be included on the next agenda.
109/08 PARISH PLAN WORKING GROUP
The next newsletter will ask for more volunteers and it is hoped that a large scale map can be obtained.
110/08 REGISTRATION OF THE VILLAGE GREEN
The Clerk reported that the Green at the entrance to the car park is not registered as a village green, and an application to register must be supported by a statutory declaration and evidence as to its use by the community for more than 20 years. It was proposed by Cllr Charman, seconded by Cllr Long, and agreed, that an application for registration be made. Members agreed to obtain declarations from several long standing residents to support the application, prior to the next meeting.
It has already been agreed that the question of encroachment at The Avenue be on the next agenda.
111/08 ITEMS FROM CALC
The Clerk reported that the last Area Meeting was held at Trimpley on 4th June.
112/08 FAIR TRADE IN WYRE FOREST
The Clerk reported that there had been a presentation by the Wyre Forest Fair Trade Group at the CALC Area meeting, and all parish councils were asked to consider a resolution supporting Fair Trade. It was agreed that such a resolution was not applicable to this Parish. The selection of donated items was passed for use at the church.
113/08 CORRESPONDENCE (for noting)
(1) WFDC – Special Parish Forum, Tuesday, 24th June, 6 pm, Duke House (Cllr Mrs Hayward said she would be attending)
(2) WCC – Temporary closure, Mill Lane/Station Drive, over night 12/13 July
(3) WCC – Bus Bulletin
(4) WM Constabulary – Policing Matters Group meeting, 2nd July (Mr Keys will be
(5) Kinver PC minutes and agendas
(6) Newsletters, etc., including Community First Newsline; CPRE Fieldwork
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.06.08 179
114/08 ITEMS OR PARISH INTEREST/ITEMS FOR NEXT AGENDA
1. Report of the Blakedown Bolt
115/08 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
This is scheduled for Wednesday, 16th July 2008 in Blakedown Parish Room.
The meeting closed at 9.54 pm.
Dated this 16th day of July 2008 ………………………………............