CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL98
Minutes of the Meeting of Churchill and Blakedown Parish Council held on Wednesday, 21st March 2007, in Blakedown Parish Room.
PRESENT Cllr R J Whiston (Chairman)
Cllr A J Cairns
Cllr P A Dearden
Cllr Mrs P V Hayward
Cllr J W Long
Cllr B A Pitt
Cllr Mrs V J Swindells
In attendance: District Cllr S J Williams
Mark Jones, Lengthsman and Handyman
R D Gurney, Clerk to the Parish Council
45/07 CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded Members to give consideration for nominations for a Parish Award.
46/07 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
These were received and accepted from Cllr Mrs Scott. An apology was received from County Cllr Clee.
47/07 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr Long declared a personal interest in Items 8(5) and 8(6) (Min. nos. 52/07(5) and (6)).
48/07 COMMUNITY POLICING
No officer was in attendance and there was no report.
ADJOURNMENT FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
(Four members of the public were in attendance.
One person commented about the problem of car parking near the station. He has had a meeting with WCC and noted that the police had put notes on cars, the result of which was that the area was not used on the following day. The Chairman commented that this is to be discussed at Item 13.
A further comment was concern with the fencing under the viaduct and the narrow footway under the railway at Stakenbridge.
Representatives of the Friends of Blakedown Playground explained their current scheme for improvement and the financial position, with a request to the Parish Council for the difference. The Chairman agreed that this would be discussed under Item 16.)
49/07 ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN
There were no nominations.
50/07 REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR
There was no report from County Cllr Clee.
99CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 21.03.07
51/07 CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON
21st FEBRUARY 2007
The following amendments to Minute 33/07 were agreed:
Line 6 “WCC...” to replace “It was…”
Line 8/9 Delete the last sentence and replace with “This view was not accepted by the Parish Council: the PC’s proposal is that it should be a Green Lane open to all traffic”
Subject to these amendments it was proposed by Cllr Dearden, seconded by Cllr Long, and RESOLVED that the Minutes, being a true and accurate record of the proceedings of the meeting, be signed by the Chairman.
52/07 PROGRESS REPORTS FOR INFORMATION
(1) Parish Web site. Malcolm Hall was not in attendance and there was no report. (2) Lengthsman report. Mark Jones was invited to speak. He reported that Stoney Lane is becoming a general dumping ground, he has nearly finished clearing the drains in Belbroughton Road and he has managed to start clearing Station Drive. The Clerk had emailed Network Rail about rubbish being dumped on the embankment. The Clerk was asked to write regarding a leaning barbed wire fence at Wannerton House. The Clerk was asked to draw WCC’s attention to several potholes in Stakenbridge Lane and the gradual removal of the red tarmac on A.456.
(3) Stream Course, adj. Churchill Lane. The Clerk reported that he has had an email from Richard Bentley of the EA at Shrewsbury. With all watercourses being prioritised in terms of flooding risk the stream course through Blakedown is given a low priority and, therefore, no work will be done in the foreseeable future.
(4) Parish Council Elections, 3rd May 2007. The Clerk distributed nomination forms to Members, reminding them that they have to be submitted by 4th April.
(5) Consultation on possible closure of local Post Offices. The Clerk reported that he has received an acknowledgement from DTI to the consultation, who state that a further announcement is to be expected shortly.
(6) Trees in The Avenue, Blakedown. A response is awaited from WFDC.
(7) Reinstatement of Train Service. Central Trains has responded, regretting the inconvenience caused by withdrawing the 16.05 service, but make no offer to reconsider. The 16.21 is considered to be the alternative, but Members noted that this was running previously. It was agreed to contact Central Trains again asking for a further explanation.
53/07 PARKING AT STATION DRIVE, BLAKEDOWN
The Chairman agreed to bring this Item forward as it had been discussed in the Adjournment. It was agreed that this matter be raised at the Annual Parish Meeting on 18th April and then progressed through the subsequent Parish Council meetings. Various suggestions have been made, which need to be properly assessed by WCC and others; these include double yellow lines, bollards, waiting restrictions, alternative parking areas.
54/07 BLAKEDOWN SPORTS GROUND AND PLAYGROUND
The Chairman agreed to bring this Item forward as it had been raised in the Adjournment. The Clerk reported that Mr Rudge will charge the PC £160 per month for the same mowing and verge cutting as last year, including the additional strip between the pavilion and tennis court. This is an increase of £10 per month and was agreed, with the Clerk informing the Sports Committee of this decision.
A request was received from the Friends of Blakedown Playground for a grant towards
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 21.03.07 100
the cost of re-equipping the Playground. Grants have been received for 90% of the cost of the scheme, the remainder needs to be committed by 16th April 2007. The current shortfall is £1,341.20p. Members were keen to support this scheme. The Clerk confirmed that £2,000 is budgeted. It was proposed by Cllr Whiston, seconded by Cllr Pitt and agreed that the Parish Council commits £1,341.20p as “gap funding” for the Friends of Blakedown Playground, providing that (1) the other funding is still forthcoming, and
(2) the Parish Council be informed of the timescale for the release of this grant.
55/07 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
(1) It was resolved that the comments on the following applications, as detailed, be sent to Wyre Forest DC.
WF/07/0160 Erection of two storey extension to rear, 15 Mill Close, Blakedown
Objection to the proposal as this further extension constitutes an overdevelopment of the site and the building would become disproportionate with the adjoining house
WF/07/0169Erection of 4 detached dwellings, land to rear of 5 Mill Lane,
Blakedown (with access from Mill Close)
Objection to the proposal. If the access arrangements are satisfactory the PC would not be concerned with this site being used for residential purposes but, as this land was given for the benefit of the Parish, the scheme for 4 detached 4-bedroom houses is inappropriate. The PC would wish to see more smaller houses on this site (possibly shared equity?), which would be of more benefit to parish residents.
WF/07/0172Erection of two storey side extension and rear conservatory,
53 Lynwood Drive, Blakedown
WF/07/0175 Erection of two storey extension, 20 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown
WF/07/0209 Erection of garage to side of property, 65 Lynwood Drive,
WF/07/0224 Two storey side and single storey rear extension, 24 Belbroughton
Planning Decisions (for information
WF/07/0040 Prune/remove various trees, 3 Wannerton Road, Blakedown -
GRANTED in part, REFUSED in part
WF/07/0045 Thin/reduce crowns on 2 beech trees, 7 Roxall Close, Blakedown
101CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 21.03.07
(1) The Clerk reported that the current account today stands at £1,249.10p in credit and the Instant Access account stands at £6,649.24p, giving a total balance of £7,898.34p.
(2) The Receipts and Payments Account for 05.01.07 - 06.03.07 was received.
(3) It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Hayward, seconded by Cllr Mrs Swindells, and resolved that the following accounts be approved for payment:
R D Gurney, salary, 01.02.07-31.03.07 £560.88
expenses, 01.11.06-07.03.07 £36.93 + £0.16 VAT £ 37.09
Staples UK Ltd, photocopying - February
£11.70 + £2.05 VAT £ 13.75
Blakedown Parish Room Committee (Nov/Jan/Feb) £ 42.00
Worcestershire CALC, Audit course for Clerk, 07.03.07 £ 25.00
Mark Jones, handyman and lengthsman £165.00
(confirmation of underpayment, February 2007)
Mark Jones, handyman and lengthsman (Feb/March) £450.00
57/07 HIGHWAY MATTERS, INCLUDING CHURCHILL CROSSROADS
A reply from WCC to the letter sent following the last meeting is awaited. Other highway complaints are awaiting action.
58/07 ACCESS TO SHOPPERS CAR PARK
There was no further information as Cllr Mrs Scott was not in attendance. Members noted that two large potholes have developed at the entrance, although it is not known who would be responsible for its repair. This is to be kept on the agenda.
59/07 PROPOSED SPEED LIMIT REDUCTIONS ON A.456
This consultation has been received from Amey Mouchel for the Highways Agency and details were circulated with the agenda. The proposed reduction from 60 mph to 50 mph for the Stoney Lane - Station Drive stretch was not accepted; the retention of the 30 mph through Blakedown village was agreed; and the proposed reduction from 70 mph to 50 mph for the Blakedown village-Hurcott Lane stretch was strongly rejected. On the latter the PC felt that improvements to safety could be achieved by a reduction in the speed limit between Deansford Lane and the village and by changing the location of speed limit signs on the approach to the village.
60/07 PARISH NEWSLETTER
Copies of the newsletter including details of the Annual Parish Meeting were given to Members for distribution in the Parish.
61/07 PARISH COUNCIL NOTICE BOARDS
The Chairman commented that the two notice boards at Stakenbridge and Churchill are in need of some attention, the notice board in Blakedown having been smartened up when the Post Office changed hands. Mark Jones is willing to undertake this work and this was agreed, provided the expenditure does not exceed £150 per notice board. It was also agreed that new name signs be obtained for all three boards and the Clerk agreed to find details.
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 21.03.07102
62/06 ITEMS FROM CALC
The Clerk reported that the Area Meeting had been held on 7th March when a talk was given on the Regional Assembly.
63/07 CORRESPONDENCE (for noting)
(1) WFDC - Parish Forum, Tuesday 17th April - any items for inclusion?
(2) Calor Village of the Year Competition, entry form
(3) WCC - amendment to bus timetable from 25.02.07
(4) WFDC - notice of adoption of Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning
(5) Black Country Core Steering Group - informal consultation
(6) Bromsgrove DC - Longbridge Area Action Plan consultation
(7) CPRE magazine
64/07 ITEMS OR PARISH INTEREST/ITEMS FOR NEXT AGENDA
65/07 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
An Extraordinary Meeting will be held after the Annual Parish Meeting, on Wednesday, 18th April 2007, in Churchill Village Hall.
The Annual Meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Wednesday, 16th May 2007, in Blakedown Parish Room.
The meeting closed at 10.18 pm.
Dated this 16th day of May 2007 ………………………………............