CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Meeting of Churchill and Blakedown Parish Council held on Wednesday, 18th May 2005, in Blakedown Parish Room.
PRESENT Cllr R J Whiston (Chairman)
Cllr A J Cairns (from Item 10, minute no. 70/05)
Cllr S J Danks (from Item 10, minute no. 70/05)
Cllr B A Pitt
Cllr Mrs I A Scott
Cllr Mrs M Thomas
In attendance: PC Andy McGill
R D Gurney, Clerk to the Parish Council
65/05 ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
Cllr R J Whiston was proposed by Cllr Pitt and seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas. Cllr Whiston agreed to stand and his election agreed.
66/05 SIGNING OF THE ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE
Cllr Whiston signed the Acceptance of Office.
67/05 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
These were received and accepted from Cllr Dearden, Cllr Mrs Hayward and Cllr Dr Parker. Apologies were also received from County Cllr S J M Clee.
68/05 ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN
Cllr Mrs I A Scott was proposed by Cllr Pitt and seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas. Cllr Mrs Scott agreed to stand and this was agreed.
69/05 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
70/05 COMMUNITY POLICING
It was agreed that this item be brought forward. In the absence of PC McGill, PC Richard Drewett was invited to address the meeting. He commented that Home Office targets for the Wyre Forest area are being achieved and this has now become the standard. Reports of damage to cars at the leasing depot off Station Drive is the subject of an on-going investigation. Speed vans are operating regularly in the area. It was also mentioned that a telephone kiosk has been vandalised. The police are already aware of the damage to the pump house in Sculthorpe Road/Mill Lane and PC Drewett agreed the inspect the parking problems and road damage caused by builders in Mill Lane.
71/05 APPOINTMENT OF COMMITTEES (IF ANY) AND REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES
(1) Urgent Business Committee. It was agreed that there would be no benefit, as there are currently monthly meetings.
(2) Wyre Forest Area Meeting of CALC. There were no volunteers.
(3) Churchill and Blakedown Sports Centre Committee. Cllr Dearden.
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.05.05
(4) Wyre Forest Police Consultative Committee. It was agreed that Mr Keys continues to attend on behalf of the Parish Council, if he wishes to do so.
72/05 CONSIDERATION OF PARISH COUNCIL INSURANCE
The Clerk reported that there is an increase in the premium of about 10% and the excess has been raised to £125 (from £100) for all Parish Councils. It was agreed to continue with the current cover, at a cost of £965.06p.
73/05 SUGGESTED MEETING DATES AND VENUES FOR 2005/2006
A copy of suggested dates on the third Wednesday of each month was circulated with the agenda. The Clerk confirmed that the Parish Room is available on these dates. Because of public holidays it was agreed that the December meeting be moved to Wednesday, 14th, and the Annual Meeting be brought forward to April 12th. It was also agreed that, subject to availability, the meetings in December 2005 and May 2006 be held in Churchill.
74/05 FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS
(1) Cheque signatories. The Clerk informed the Parish Council that the current signatories are Cllrs Whiston, Dearden, Mrs Hayward and Pitt.
(2) Internal Auditor. The Clerk confirmed that Mr David Hale had expressed his willingness to continue as the Internal Auditor and the Clerk will make arrangements after the Annual Return has been completed.
ADJOURNMENT FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
(Malcolm Hall, as a member of the public, informed the Council that Churchill and Blakedown PC had won the first event in this year’s Parish Games).
75/05 REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR
County Cllr Clee submitted his apology and there was no report.
76/05 TO CONFIRM THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16th MARCH 2005
It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Scott, seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas, and RESOLVED to agree that the Minutes, being a true and accurate record of the proceedings of the meeting, be signed by the Chairman.
77/05 TO CONFIRM THE MINUTES OF THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 20TH APRIL 2005
It was proposed by Cllr Pitt, seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas, and RESOLVED to agree that the Minutes, being a true and accurate record of the proceedings of the meeting be signed by the Chairman.
78/05 PROGRESS REPORTS FOR INFORMATION
(1) Parish Web site. Malcolm Hall was invited to speak. He commented that the web site is now one year old and, after being invited by the Chairman he agreed that to continue as the web master. Visits are continuing to increase. There were 84 returning visitors each month and there had been 1412 page loads during the past month. It was suggested that the dates of parish council meetings for the next year be included, once the
Clerk has agreed the venues.
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.05.05
(2) Street Light no. 1, Churchill Lane. The Clerk reported that a further letter has been received with a more detailed plan. The Clerk has checked the dimensions and will respond accordingly.
(3) Dog Fouling signs. The Cultural, Leisure and Commercial Services department at WFDC has still not displayed these replacement signs.
(4) Planning/Highway Complaint, Crown Inn, Iverley. The Clerk has now received a letter from Staffordshire CC Highways department which states that the new wall has been erected within the limits of the highway. The County Council solicitors are taking the matter up with the owners. The Chairman reminded the meeting that this matter was raised at the Annual Parish Meeting and PC McGill said he would speak to his colleagues in Staffordshire.
(5) Blakedown Playground. Cllr Danks reported that the Working day was successful.
(6) Development at Park Hall, Blakedown. The Enforcement Officer had written, noting the Parish Council’s concerns and informing the PC that ongoing discussions are being held with the applicant. It was stated that the building, the subject of recent applications, is still in its original condition.
(7) Residential redevelopment, 21 and 23 Birmingham Road, Blakedown. The Enforcement Officer has advised that the security concerns at the site will be drawn to the developer’s attention. She continues to state that before the dwellings are occupied the existing access off Birmingham Road should be closed. There is no requirement to access the site via Swan Close during the course of development.
(8) Consultation with Kinver PC. There has been no reply from the Clerk to Kinver PC.
(9) Car Parking Agreement, The Old House at Home. The Cultural, Leisure and Commercial Services Division at WFDC has confirmed that there is still an agreement for parking during the day at the inn. The Clerk was asked to clarify from WFDC that the present owners are fully aware of this agreement.
(10) Insurance claim, damaged street light (04.12.03), Brookside Way Blakedown. The Clerk reported that he has been in correspondence with Allianz Cornhill regarding the recovery of the policy excess, as insurance details of the person who caused the damage were sent.
(11) South Staffordshire DC Local Plan/Wolverhampton Business Airport proposal. The Clerk reported that work on this Local Plan ceased on 1st March 2005; the plan details are “saved” for 3 years and will be incorporated within the Local Development Framework. This means that the 14,000 representations received will have to be carried forward.
The Clerk reported receipt of the WAAG Annual Report.
79/05 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
(1) Applications received
WF/0420/05 Erection of dwelling with single storey link extension to no. 9,
9 Sculthorpe Road, Blakedown
No objection, as already a previous permission.
WF/0434/05 Extensions and alterations, 91 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.05.05
WF/0460/05Conversion of outbuildings to extend The Balcony House with alterations, The Balcony House (and adj. outbuildings), Harborough Court, Blakedown
No objection providing that the alterations do not detract from the appearance of the building.
WF/0496/05Erection of a detached house (with rooms and dormer window/skylight in roof space), land adj. 1 Mill Lane, Blakedown
Concern with the position of the proposed access being close to the level crossing, but otherwise no objection.
(2) Decision notices
WF/1343/04 Conversion of existing barn to create two bedroom dwelling with parking, Activity Barn (Barn no. 2), Park Hall, Blake down - LBC REFUSED
WF/0148/05 Extension of existing yard for car parking (temporary storage pending delivery) facilities, adj. Railway line, Station Drive, Blakedown - REFUSED
WF/0176/05 Detached garage, 3 Birmingham Road, Blakedown - REFUSED
WF/0185/05 Subdivision and change of use to the keeping of horses and new access, land at Stakenbridge Lane, Churchill - GRANTED
WF/0220/05 Two storey extension, 25 Swan Close, Blake down - GRANTED
WF/0221/05 Single storey extensions, 58 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown - GRANTED
WF/0254/05 Single storey extension, Woodland House, New Wood Lane, Blakedown - REFUSED
WF/0323/05 Demolition of garage, two storey extensions at front/side/rear, Stanway Mead, 4 New Wood Lane, Blakedown - WITHDRAWN
(1) The Clerk reported that the current account stands at £6,826.86p in credit and the Instant Access account stands at £9,237.30p, giving a total balance of £16,064.16p.
(2) The Receipts and Payments Account for 04.03.05 - 06.04.05 was received.
(3) Before consideration was given to the accounts for payment the Chairman reminded the Council that WFDC has agreed to give £600 to the Parish Council for churchyard maintenance and that £300 should be given at this stage to each of the churches. The Chairman proposed that the Parish Council should not renew its subscription to Community First: this was seconded by Cllr Pitt and agreed.
CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minute 18.05.05
It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Thomas, seconded by Cllr Mrs Scott, and resolved that the following accounts be approved for payment:
Staples UK Ltd, stamps - April £ 12.10
R D Gurney - salary, April/May 2005 £525.60
Worcestershire CALC subscription, £312.97 + £54.77 VAT £367.74
additional MAILS £ 12.00
Allianz Cornhill £965.06
Playground Management Ltd £71.00 + £12.43 VAT £ 83.43
WFDC fee for Parish Games £30.00 +£5.25 VAT £ 35.25
Blakedown PCC churchyard maintenance £300.00
Churchill PCC churchyard maintenance £300.00
V Rudge grass cutting, March/April £270.00
81/05 TO APPROVE THE ACCOUNTS FOR YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH 2005
Copies of the accounts were circulated with the agenda. The Chairman commented that there is always a delay in reclaiming VAT and he noted that there is a contingency liability with Railtrack for the street light. The Clerk pointed out that npower has changed its method of sending bills for street light energy and this is still not clarified; hence no account has been received since April 2004.
That the Accounts be approved was proposed by Cllr Pitt, seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas, and agreed. Copies of the accounts were duly signed by the Chairman and RFO.
82/05 EXTERNAL AUDIT ARRANGEMENTS AND COMPLETION OF THE ANNUAL RETURN
(1) The Clerk informed Members that the Annual Return has to be submitted to the External Auditor by 20th June 2005 and the arrangements are currently being advertised.
(2) Copies of the Annual Return were circulated with the agenda. The Statement of Assurance was completed and signed by the Chairman and Clerk and that this and the Statement of Accounts be approved was proposed by Cllr Mrs Scott, seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas, and agreed.
83/05 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING HELD ON
20th APRIL 2005
A copy of the draft minutes were circulated with the agenda. The Chairman noted that the only matter requiring action by the Parish Council is the concern about the stream course between Churchill and Blakedown, particularly in the vicinity of Mill Lane. The Clerk was asked to discuss the problem with engineers at WFDC and the Environment Agency and it is hoped that work could be undertaken with the help of a local volunteer group. The Environment Agency’s attention is to be drawn to the varying water level in Swan Pool and to enquire whether this is related to recently constructed pools upstream.
84/05 HIGHWAY MATTERS
Following a meeting in March 2005 repairs to Belbroughton Road are to be undertaken during the last week of May. County Cllr Clee has informed the Clerk that he has bee unable to follow up the next course of action at Churchill crossroads, due to electioneering. It was felt that the car parking in Station Drive needs to be monitored.CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 18.05.05
85/05 STREET NAMING - CHURCHILL/CROWN LANE
Following comments received from residents the Clerk was asked to write to WFDC requesting that new street name plates are erected, first to the south of the crossroads by the War Memorial stating “Churchill” and, second, to the north of the crossroads towards Iverley stating “Churchill leading to Crown Lane”.
86/05 EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Scott, seconded by Cllr Mrs Thomas and agreed that the press and public be excluded from the room during the discussion of the following item (Minute 87/05), in view of the personal nature of the business.
87/05 VILLAGE HANDYMAN
No appointment was made and the Clerk was asked to discuss the details of the offer with the applicant.
88/05 RoSPA REPORT FOR BLAKEDOWN PLAYGROUND
A copy of the 2005 report was circulated with the agenda and the Clerk informed the meeting that a copy has been sent to Jim Brown, Chairman of the Friends of Blakedown Playground. Members felt that the comments in the report reflected the work which has been done at the playground in the past months.
89/05 CORRESPONDENCE FROM CALC
The May edition of the MAIL was enclosed with the agenda.
90/05 CORRESPONDENCE FOR ACTION
1. WFDC - Local Development Framework Community Involvement (leaflet circulated with the agenda) - noted
2. Community First Parish Plan newsletter - noted
3. Trafalgar Weekend, 21/23 October 2005 - passed to Web Master for the web site
4. WFDC Local Development Framework, first stage consultation - noted
91/05 CORRESPONDENCE FOR INFORMATION
The attached item of correspondence were noted.
92/05 INFORMATION ITEMS/ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
(1) Bus shelter cleaning, 2005/2006
(2) Increase regular grants to PCCs
(3) Disabled sign at Parish Rooms
93/05 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
This is confirmed as 15th June 2005 at Blakedown Parish Room.
The meeting closed at 10.16 pm.
Dated this 15th day of June 2005