CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL 77

Minutes of the Meeting of Churchill and Blakedown Parish Council held on Wednesday, 15th November 2006, in Blakedown Parish Room.

PRESENT Cllr R J Whiston (Chairman)

Cllr A J Cairns

Cllr S J Danks

Cllr P A Dearden

Cllr Mrs P V Hayward (from Minute no. 194/06)

Cllr J W Long

Cllr B A Pitt

Cllr Mrs I A Scott

In attendance: Malcolm Hall, Web site keeper

Mark Jones Handyman and Lengthsman

R D Gurney, Clerk to the Parish Council

184/06 CHAIRMAN’S REMARKS

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and informed Members that, on behalf of the Parish Council, he had attended the Remembrance Day service at Churchill. He has received invitations to a meeting at WFDC of Parish Council Chairmen and the WFDC Chairman’s Carol Service, at both of which he will represent the Parish Council.

185/06 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

None.

186/06 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None

187/06 COMMUNITY POLICING

No one was in attendance and there was no report.

ADJOURNMENT FOR PUBLIC COMMENT

(There were no members of the public was in attendance).

188/06 ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN

There were no nominations and it was agreed that this item be left on the agenda.

189/06 REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR

County Cllr Clee was not in attendance and there was no report.

190/06 CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON

25th OCTOBER 2006

With the addition of the word “Road” in the third line of Minute no. 164/06 it was proposed by Cllr Mrs Scott, seconded by Cllr Dearden, and RESOLVED that the Minutes, being a true and accurate record of the proceedings of the meeting, be signed by the Chairman.

78 CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 15.11.06

191/06 PROGRESS REPORTS FOR INFORMATION

(1) Parish Web site. Malcolm Hall was invited to speak to the meeting. He reported that there had been 221 returns in the last month and there has been a hit from Bangkok. He commented that there has not been an increase in the useage of the web site, and the site was down for 2 hours on one day during the month.

(2) Blakedown Playground. There was no report.

(3) Lengthsman report. The Chairman invited Mark Jones to speak, who referred to several matters. First, there has been much fly tipping in Iverley Lane a matter for WFDC to deal with. Second, there has still been no response by the highway authority to his request for lifting irons for the roadside drains. It was proposed by Cllr Cairns, seconded by Cllr Long, and agreed that a set of irons be purchased, subject to the cost not exceeding £100 and that the equipment is passed by the health and safety officer. (it was suggested that the Clerk finds out the WCC supplier, which would overcome any problem on the H&S aspect). Third, there are three areas of untidy land which he would attend to. The border of the Shoppers car park should be maintained by WFDC and the Clerk was asked to find out if the PC would be reimbursed for its maintenance. An area in Mill Lane near the signal box used to be maintained by a former resident and it was agreed that as this is part of the highway it is strimmed as necessary. Land at the junction of Wannerton Road and Churchill Lane may be part of Mr Rudge’s contract and the Clerk will check; meanwhile it was agreed that Mark Jones trims around the tree on this land.

The key to the Sports Field gate was handed to Mark Jones.

(4) Stream Course, adj. Churchill Lane. The Clerk reported that neither he nor Colin Cross, WFDC Ranger, had any success in contacting the Environment Agency. The Clerk has now written to the EA, asking for an update.

(5) Churchill crossroads. Cllr Pitt reported on the meeting held on 26th September 2006. He commented that no specific progress was made. WCC will check on the feasibility of erecting signs at either end of Stakenbridge Lane, particularly the availability of a power supply; Members questioned whether solar power would be appropriate? When responding the Clerk was asked to find out the cost of the signs, including a breakdown of the cost. Rumble strips were suggested by WCC, but Members foresaw problems from residents. WCC did offer to put cables across the highway and, although this has been done previously, it was agreed that this could keep some interest and may get some commitment from WCC.

(6) Display of Definitive Rights of Way Map. This has not yet been arranged and Cllr Cairns offered to pass to the Clerk details of a contact of the Parish Room Committee.

(7) Parish Council Member contacts. This was enclosed with the agenda and with one further amendment was agreed.

(8) Shoppers Car Park. This was covered in the Lengthsman’s report above.

(9) Signs/Bylaws for anti social behaviour. The Clerk commented that he has been advised by a solicitor at WFDC that bylaws are now being replaced by specific procedures, eg ASBOs and restrictions banning drinking in specific locations. There would need to be specific instances before any action could be taken.

(10) Noise from trains. The Clerk reported that he had been told that trains now have black boxes and drivers now make sure that they sound the horn at each of the three crossings in the Parish. Furthermore the newly introduced trains do have louder horns than in the previous trains.

(11) Police Community Consultative Group. Mr Keys’ report was enclosed with the agenda and was noted. The Chairman took the opportunity to read a report in the national CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 15.11.06 79

press about an incident in Blakedown on 9th November and said it was unfortunate that the police had not been in attendance. The Clerk was asked to draw Mr Keys attention to this.

192/06 PLANNING APPLICATIONS

(1) It was resolved that the comments on the following applications, as detailed, be sent to Wyre Forest DC. (Cllr Danks declared a personal interest in application no. WF/06/1034 and took no part in the discussion of that application).

Applications received

WF/06/0993 Prune 2 holly trees and a yew tree, Attlee House, Churchill

The Clerk reported that he had not received a copy of this application and that WFDC had already made the decision

WF/06/1010 Fell 2 ash trees and 1 silver birch, Sluice gate of Churchill Pool,

Churchill

No objection

WF/06/1015 Lounge, kitchen, utility room, garage extensions and porch,

86 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown

No objection

WF/06/1034 Two storey rear extension (after demolition of conservatory),

84 Belbroughton Road, Blakedown

No objection

WF/06/1081 Single storey kitchen extension, Churchill Grange, Waggon Lane,

Churchill

No objection

WF/06/1102 Take down damaged brick wall (adjacent to road) and rebuild as

existing; take down end portion of wall (adjacent to car park) and

rebuild forming archway, Attlee House, Churchill (LBC)

No objection provided that old bricks to match the existing bricks are used.

WF/06/1108 Two storey and single storey extensions, front porch, parking area

with new vehicular access (demolition of conservatory and single

storey extension), 4 Mill Lane, Blakedown

No objection

193/06 WYRE FOREST PARISH GAMES

The Chairman read out a letter from WFDC which enclosed a cheque for £100 for winning the Parish Games in 2006. The Chairman had spoken with Geoff Elwell about the cheque and he suggested that this money be donated to the Millennium Green Trust towards further seating. This was proposed by Cllr Cairns, seconded by Cllr Long, and agreed.

80 CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 15.11.06

194/06 FINANCE

(1) The Clerk reported that the current account stands at £3,985.03p in credit and the Instant Access account stands at £6,603.84p, giving a total balance of £10,588.87p.

(2) The Receipts and Payments Account for 06.09.06 - 06.10.06 was received.

(3) It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Scott, seconded by Cllr Pitt and resolved that the following accounts be approved for payment:

Staples UK Ltd, photocopying, stamps, stationery - October

£45.57 + £7.36 VAT (4 invoices) £ 52.93

R D Gurney salary (October/November) £560.88

expenses (July-October) , £59.77 + £0.56 VAT £ 60.33

Mark Jones, handyman (£165) and lengthsman (£65) £250.00

Churchill and Blakedown Millennium Green Trust £100.00

£1,024.14

195/06 PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY

The Clerk reported that the Notice for co-option was displayed on 9th November 2006, with the application form available from the Clerk, Cllr Mrs Scott and the web site. Completed application forms are to be returned to the Clerk by 6th December, so that they can be included with the agenda for the December meeting on 13th December.

196/06 LITTER PICKING

The Clerk reported that he had attended a meeting with WFDC and the CALC Executive Officer on 9th November 2006. This pilot is due to start on 1st January 2007 and it was agreed (after some persuasion) that £100 will be given to the parish councils for the remainder of the financial year; thereafter it will be £150 per PC per year. An amended contract will be sent in time for meetings in December and the PC will need to supply details of the Lengthsman and a location for the wheelie bin supplied specifically for this litter picking. (The Parish Room was suggested and the Clerk will check its suitability). There is likely to be some basic training. The Clerk confirmed that he has discussed these details with Mark Jones.

197/06 TRAFFIC AT CHURCHILL CROSSROADS

This has been discussed in Minute 191/06(5) above.

198/06 REQUEST TO VIEW MINUTES AND CORRESPONDENCE

This item was at the request of Cllr Danks and followed on from two emails he had sent the Clerk in September 2006. The Clerk explained to the Council his position regarding making minutes and correspondence available, including the 7 points raised in the emails. It was agreed that the Minutes from 1995, up to the time they were first put on to the parish web site, be deposited with the County Record Office at County Hall, where they would be generally accessible. When this had been done the Clerk would inform Cllr Danks.

199/06 TO REVIEW PARISH COUNCIL STANDING ORDERS

The Chairman reminded Members that there is an Order requiring the Standing Orders to

be reviewed every three years. However, as there are elections in May 2007 he suggested

CHURCHILL AND BLAKEDOWN PARISH COUNCIL Minutes 15.11.06 81

that the review takes place after the elections. This was proposed by Cllr Pitt, seconded by Cllr Mrs Hayward, and agreed.

200/06 SPEAKERS FOR ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

The Clerk confirmed that he has written to Nigel Tolley, Chairman of the Stourbridge Line Users Group, inviting him to the Annual Meeting in April. It was suggested that a speaker from the Norman Dawson Trust also be invited. The Chairman asked Members to suggest any persons to whom a presentation could be made in recognition of the voluntary contribution to the community.

201/06 SAFETY OF PEDESTRIANS ALONG A.456

The Clerk read out a letter from a local resident which has been sent to the Highways Agency, for which the Parish Council’s support was requested. The main concerns were traffic speed and the number of lorries. Members recognised that there is a problem, but there are other implications as the A.456 is a designated lorry route. The PC agreed to support the general principle, but felt that there were various options for improvement which would need to be considered.

Cllr Mrs Scott raised the question of the access to the Shoppers car park off A.456 and agreed the speak to WFDC for some safety measures at the road junction and, if that is not successful, the Clerk will approach the Highways Agency for a sign to be displayed.

202/06 CORRESPONDENCE FROM CALC

The Clerk reported that the next Area Meeting will be held on Wednesday 6th December 2006, at Chaddesley Corbett.

203/06 CORRESPONDENCE

(1) WCC Notice of temporary closure, Hackman's Gate Lane (max 8 days from

11.12.06)

(2) Black Country Consortium, Lottery Bid and meeting 06.12.06

(3) South Staffordshire DC, LDF Options at www.sstaffs.gov.uk

(4) Countryside Alliance - support for local Post Offices

(5) Kinver PC agenda and minutes

(6) Magazines - CPRE Countryside Voice; Future 4 Longbridge update; Worcs.

Partnership newsletter; Clerk & Councils Direct; Wicksteed Leisure catalogue

(7) WCC Budget consultation meeting, County Hall, 04.12.06, at 7 pm

204/06 ITEMS OR PARISH INTEREST/ITEMS FOR NEXT AGENDA

1. Update on Post Office facilities in Blakedown

2. Cllr Dearden reported that the radio transmitters alongside the railway lines are currently being installed.

205/06 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

This will be held on 13th December 2006, in Churchill Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 10.21 pm.

Dated this 13th day of December 2006 ………………………………............

Chairman